Saturday, February 6, 2016

'Last of Us' Sequel Opinion Honest Post

   Welcome to the very first edition of "If I'm Being Honest" where I talk about something and give my brutally honest opinion on it. Today we be diving into the video game industry and on one of my favorite games "The Last of Us".

 I already hear the "here we go again" sighs from some of you and I get it, this game been talked about so much it might as well become a daily page in your newspaper...that is if you still read the news non-electronically. I'm not talking about the original game however, I'm talking about the possible sequel that been rumored from mid 2015 to now. I'm not going to get into detail about trademarks filed, or interviews. No none of that jazz, because lets face it, you can't believe everything you see on the internet right?  I wish I could say wrong there and confirm a sequel but here's to hoping. Now on to the show.

  Now if you know what "The Last of Us" is, then you know who Joel and Ellie are. Ellie is the tough, innocent, young protagonist in the game whom is immune to the virus...fungus infection thing. As for Joel, he's the man that doomed all of humanity...lets face it at this point that's what some of us remember him for. These characters make "The Last of Us" special. They are the franchise players of the game and should be for at least another one. Which brings me to my honest opinion of, I'm not even going to consider buying the game if it doesn't feature Ellie and Joel as the main characters.

  Why do people feel the need to say they need to move on to other characters? Like who? Tommy? The man didn't have a lick of charisma in the first game to even put him on the game cover. Marlene? She's better suited in a DLC and we already know of her fate, so why base an entire game on her. Bill only was entertaining when interacting with Ellie, which was like watching a heckler try to keep up with a comedian. In other words the game worked because everything was for something very important. Ellie has the cure in her blood and Joel had to take her to the Fireflies. See that, nice, simple and motivation to see if they'll make it there.I feel the first game will lose some of it's aura you might say if come to find out, Ellie isn't the only one immune to the virus. I doubt people would allow for a runner or clicker to bite them for a test run. What's going to make them do it? Money?

   What I'm trying to say here is that there is no other option for a possible sequel, but to have Ellie and Joel return. Not only would it be hard to come to grip with the exclusion of Ellie and Joel from the game, but it would be hard for me to even consider buying the game if I know they weren't going to be in it as lead characters. I know I said that twice but the ending wasn't perfect, it was probably the most sequel baiting, incomplete, "is that it?" endings I've ever come across. I didn't feel a sense of completion at all like I do with most video games when I actually beat it. In fact it feels like I've been waiting for part two since 2013 and I hope that we hear something about it during 2016 after Uncharted 4 is release.

   Here are some final honest thoughts however. If a sequel does get release and does star Ellie as the lead protagonist, I'll buy the entire collection bundle first day. It would help Ellie surpass or at least get close to the level of Clementine from Telltale Games "The Walking Dead" series or even Lara Croft from Tomb Raider. It would also have to be the very last game of the series. Ending at two games would be ideal as it wouldn't do much for Ellie afterwards. She was 14, probably 15 by the end, meaning that she still has some room to grow. Kill off Joel, give Ellie the keys to the car and let her drive off into the sunset along with the title as she should.  This isn't "Fallout", "Elder Scrolls", "Dark Souls" or "Bloodbourne". The game is known for these two characters as much as "Uncharted" is known for Nathan Drake, not for it's brutal nature, you should expect it to be brutal and not a fields of flowers with the occasional bee buzzing too close to your ear drum. Replace Nathan Drake or Lara Croft from their respective games and lets see how that goes.


   Thanks for reading. This was a light honest blog, but expect things to get juicy soon. Please comment as I would love to have some friendly conversations or even arguments on the topics.Bye!

1 comment: